Fortinet rolls out new FortiOS 5.0 operating system for enabling more security, control, intelligence
Company delivers more than 150 new features for FortiGate, FortiManager, FortiAnalyzer and FortiClient products.
Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT) – a world leader in high-performance network security – today announced FortiOS 5.0, the world’s most advanced security operating system that is the foundation for all Fortinet FortiGate integrated security platforms. This new release provides more security, intelligence and control to help enterprises be better protected against today’s advanced threats and enable more secure BYOD environments.
With smarter, more effective security policies, Fortinet gives enterprises of all sizes new technologies to help protect and manage their networks in light of fundamental changes in both the nature of attacks targeting them, as well as how users are accessing the network. Fortinet is extending its leadership by integrating advanced identification and management of user and device behaviour, including reputation-based policies, better botnet detection and protection and inspection of encrypted traffic.
In addition to the new FortiOS 5.0 operating system for FortiGate devices, Fortinet announced FortiManager 5.0, FortiAnalyzer 5.0 and FortiClient 5.0 to address the need for increasingly sophisticated management and analysis of the network infrastructure and endpoint devices in enterprise, carrier, MSP and SME environments alike.
Fortinet is adding more than 150 features and enhancements to FortiOS 5.0. As a result, enterprises of all sizes will be better equipped to defend themselves against new advanced threats and manage and protect their network against an influx of new types of mobile devices and applications. Key benefits include:
Fortinet gets Frost & Sullivan nod
* More security to fight advanced threats. A client reputation feature gives enterprises a cumulative security ranking of each device based on a range of behaviours and provides specific, actionable information that enables organisations to identity compromised systems and potential zero-day attacks in real-time. The new advanced anti-malware detection system adds an on-device behaviour-based heuristic engine and cloud-based AV services that includes an operating system sandbox and botnet IP reputation database. Together with superior industry-validated AV signatures, FortiOS 5.0 delivers unbeatable multi-layered protection against today’s sophisticated malware.
* More control to secure mobile devices and BYOD environments by identifying devices and applying specific access policies as well as security profiles, according to the device type or device group, location and usage.
* More intelligence, with automatic adjustment of role-based policies for users and guests based on location, data and application profile. Enhanced reporting and analysis also provides administrators with more intelligence on the behaviour of their network, users, devices, applications and threats.
“We are excited about the advancements in FortiOS 5.0,” said Ken Xie, founder, president and CEO for Fortinet. “Looking back over the last 10 years, each FortiOS release delivered innovation that helped change the market. With FortiOS 5.0, Fortinet is continuing to lead and define the network security space. We are providing our customers with the best and broadest functionality that is fully integrated with our high-performance FortiASICs and FortiGate system. This combination leads to our customers having the most superior network security, performance, management and analysis.”
“We’ve come to rely on the consolidated and advanced security, networking and management services embedded in FortiOS,” said Ken Smith, senior security solutions architect with Green Pages. “What’s particularly attractive about this major new release is the 'client reputation' feature that provides a broad view of each client on our network and the ability to enforce ‘smart policies’ to secure individual users throughout our organisation, regardless of their location, type of device they use to access network resources or their status as a guest. It’s a major step forward in strengthening our overall security posture.”
As a centralised, single-pane-of-glass management platform for all Fortinet devices, the new FortiManager 5.0 features significant improvements tailored for enterprises and service providers:
* The ability to manage physical and virtual security devices using a single Web-based GUI with new functions that include drag-and-drop policies between panes, direct in-view policy object editing, full IPv6 support and a new script UI facility.
* More granular administrative profiles and greater ease of use.
* Enhanced provisioning capabilities for large-scale roll-outs.
* Improved reporting and analysis with multi-frame display, drag-and-drop policy between rule bases and frames, built-in logging and reporting and full IPv6 support.
Additionally, carrier/cloud providers will benefit from added XML and JSON API functionality as well as script UI capabilities that enable auto-provisioning and simplified creation and modification of policies and objects.
The FortiAnalyzer family of logging, analysing and reporting appliances securely aggregates log data from Fortinet devices and other syslog-compatible devices. The new FortiAnalyzer 5.0 includes the following new key features:
* Significantly improved data visualisation and analysis to provide customers with critical visibility into their network security posture.
* Consolidated reporting for all FortiOS-based devices and endpoints, enabling better insight on bandwidth consumption, application usage and network utilisation.
* Management of both physical and virtual appliances for consolidated configuration and universally applied reporting across multiple FortiAnalyzer systems.
* The ability to synchronise multiple FortiAnalyzers for unified configuration and reporting.
FortiClient provides anytime, anywhere endpoint security for Windows and Macintosh devices. Improvements include:
* Better enforcement of security policies in off-net situations to ensure adherence to corporate policies when not connected to the network.
* Enhanced integration with FortiGate devices to simplify remote VPN provisioning for ease of use.
“From the largest enterprises and carriers to smaller distributed retail and SME networks, our customers are dealing with more stringent network security requirements and greater demands for access to data,” said Patrick Bedwell, vice-president of product marketing for Fortinet. “With new attack variants on the rise and the ‘bring your own device’ revolution in full swing, organisations need broad security measures that can scale, are highly flexible when it comes to enforcing granular policies and are easy to deploy. We’re responding to these market requirements with the release of the industry’s most advanced network security operating system that works in tandem with our next-generation management, analysis and client protection technologies.”
FortiOS 5.0, FortiManager 5.0, FortiAnalyzer 5.0 and FortiClient 5.0 will be available this month and can be downloaded from the FortiCare Web site (https://support.fortinet.com), or customers can contact their reseller.
Follow Fortinet online:
Subscribe to threat landscape reports: http://blog.fortinet.com/feed/.
Twitter at: www.twitter.com/fortinet.
Facebook at: www.facebook.com/fortinet.
YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/user/SecureNetworks.